What is Alpha-Methylselenobutanoic Acid?
Alpha-methylselenobutanoic acid (AMSB) is a naturally occurring organic compound found in many food sources such as nuts, seeds, and grains. It belongs to the selenocompound family, and is an analog of selenomethionine, which is a form of selenium (Se). AMSB is essential for many bodily functions, and it plays a vital role in the metabolism of proteins, vitamins, and other components.
Where is Alpha-Methylselenobutanoic Acid Generally Used?
Alpha-methylselenobutanoic acid is used in a variety of applications, including dietary supplements, food fortification, and as a pharmaceutical drug molecule. It is also used in the pharmaceutical industry for the treatment of cancer, inflammation, and immunity.
Where is Alpha-Methylselenobutanoic Acid Found?
Alpha-methylselenobutanoic acid can be found in various food sources such as nuts, seeds, grains, fish, beef, poultry, shellfish, and some vegetables. It is also found in small amounts in breastmilk.
What are the Health Benefits of Alpha-Methylselenobutanoic Acid?
The health benefits of alpha-methylselenobutanoic acid include:
- Improved Immunity – AMSB has been found to increase the activity of natural killer (NK) cells, which improves the body’s immunity against viruses and bacteria.
- Reduced Inflammation – Studies have shown that AMSB can reduce inflammation, which can help reduce symptoms of arthritis, allergies, and other inflammatory conditions.
- Improved Heart Health – Alpha-methylselenobutanoic acid helps to reduce cholesterol levels and improve overall heart health.
- Improved Cognitive Function – AMSB has been found to improve cognitive function and reduce symptoms of dementia in some studies.
- Cancer Prevention – Studies have also suggested that alpha-methylselenobutanoic acid may be beneficial in reducing the risk of certain types of cancer.
Interesting Facts about Alpha-Methylselenobutanoic Acid
- Alpha-methylselenobutanoic acid is an analog of selenomethionine, a form of selenium
- AMSB is found in food sources such as nuts, seeds, grains, and some vegetables
- Alpha-methylselenobutanoic acid plays an important role in the metabolism of proteins, vitamins, and other components
- It is used in dietary supplements, food fortification, and as a pharmaceutical drug molecule
List of Other Similar Ingredients
Other sources of selenium that are similar to Alpha-methylselenobutanoic acid include selenocysteine, selenomethionine, and selenite.