What is AHCC?
AHCC, or Active Hexose Correlated Compound, is an extract of medicinal mushrooms, most commonly shiitake. It is a natural plant extract derived from the mycelium and rootlets of several species of mushrooms, including the shiitake. AHCC is a type of fermentative extract that has the power to boost the immune system. This supplement is said to increase the number of white blood cells and cytokines, which can help the body fight off viruses, bacteria, and other foreign agents.
Where is AHCC generally used?
AHCC is used widely in Japan and other Asian countries as a complementary and alternative medicine for general wellness and as a preventative measure against certain illnesses. In recent years, research has suggested that AHCC has potential to support the immune system and even reduce the side effects of chemotherapy.
Where is AHCC found?
AHCC is found in many forms, including capsules, powders, extracts, and liquid formulations. It can be found in a variety of health food stores, online retailers, and even some pharmacies.
What are the health benefits of AHCC?
AHCC has numerous potential health benefits including:
- Boosting Immune System Function: AHCC has been shown to increase both the number and activity of white blood cells, which play an important role in fighting off infection and illness.
- Reducing Side Effects of Chemotherapy: Studies have found that AHCC may reduce the side effects of chemotherapy, such as fatigue, nausea, diarrhea, and anemia.
- Lowering Cholesterol: In animal studies, AHCC has been shown to lower cholesterol levels.
- Improving Liver Health: Studies have shown that AHCC can help to protect the liver from damage due to toxins.
- Fighting Viruses: AHCC has also been found to have anti-viral properties and may help to fight off viruses, such as the flu and common cold.
Interesting Facts about AHCC
- AHCC is derived from a variety of species of mushrooms, including the shiitake mushroom.
- AHCC is gluten-free and vegan friendly.
- AHCC is said to be 500 times more potent than other medicinal mushrooms.
- AHCC is believed to have anti-cancer properties, though this has not been proven in human studies.
List of other similar ingredients
- Reishi mushroom
- Maitake mushroom
- Turkey Tail mushroom
- Chaga mushroom
FAQs about AHCC
Q: Is AHCC safe to take?
A: Yes, AHCC is generally safe to take when used appropriately. However, those with allergies to mushrooms should not take this supplement without consulting their doctor first. Pregnant or nursing women should also not take AHCC without consulting their doctor.
AHCC is a powerful medicinal mushroom extract that has been used in traditional Japanese and Chinese medicine for centuries. It is believed to have numerous health benefits, including boosting the immune system, reducing the side effects of chemotherapy, and fighting viruses. It is widely available and can be found in a variety of forms. AHCC is generally safe for most people when used appropriately, but it may cause some adverse reactions in some individuals. Therefore, it is important to consult a healthcare professional before taking AHCC.