What is Balloon Flower?
The Balloon Flower (Platycodon grandiflorus) is a perennial flowering plant native to East Asian countries such as Japan, China, and Korea. It is a member of the Campanulaceae family and has a bell-shaped flower that blooms in the summer. The plant can reach heights of up to five feet and its leaves are usually whitish-green in color. Balloon flowers have several medicinal properties and are used in traditional medicine.
Where is Balloon Flower Generally Used?
Balloon flower is commonly used in traditional medicine as a remedy for respiratory ailments such as coughing and sore throats. It is used as an expectorant to help reduce mucus and relieve coughing and chest congestion. The herb is also used for digestive problems such as abdominal cramps and indigestion, as well as skin issues such as acne and eczema.
Where is Balloon Flower Found?
Balloon flower is found mainly in Asia, but it is available in other parts of the world. The herb can be found in dried form at most health food stores and online. It can also be found fresh in areas where it grows naturally.
What are the Health Benefits of Balloon Flower?
The traditional uses of balloon flower have been backed up by scientific studies. Here are some of the potential health benefits of balloon flower:
- It may help reduce inflammation.
- It may help improve respiratory health.
- It may help reduce symptoms of allergies and asthma.
- It may help boost the immune system.
- It may help fight infections.
It may help reduce indigestion.
Interesting Facts About Balloon Flower
Balloon flower is known as “doraji” in Korean, which means bellflower. The name was inspired by its bell-shaped flower. The plant is also known as the Chinese bellflower. In traditional Chinese medicine, the plant is used as a tonic and is believed to improve the function of the spleen and stomach, as well as treat colds and flu.
List of Other Similar Ingredients
There are other traditional ingredients used in traditional medicine with similar health benefits to balloon flower. These include:
- Forsythia suspensa
- Houttuynia cordata
- Prunella vulgaris
- Rehmannia glutinosa
- Schizonepeta tenuifolia
- Zingiber officinale
- Ligusticum chuanxiong
More information about balloon flower is available online.
Some interesting facts include the following:
• Balloon flower is a popular ornamental plant, often used in traditional Chinese medicine to relieve colds and flu symptoms.
• It’s believed to help improve respiratory health and reduce allergies and asthma.
• The leaves can be used as an herbal tea to help soothe digestion and reduce inflammation.
• The flower of the balloon flower is known to contain powerful antioxidants and vitamins such as vitamin A and C.
• Some people use balloon flower to relieve symptoms of menopause, such as hot flashes and night sweats.