What is Beta Hydroxybutyrate?
Beta hydroxybutyrate (BHB) is a ketone body produced naturally by the body as an energy source. It is produced in the liver during times of low carbohydrate availability, such as in a state of nutritional ketosis. BHB can be artificially created in a lab and used as an exogenous ketone supplement to increase levels of ketone bodies in the body and provide an alternative source of energy for the body.
Where is Beta Hydroxybutyrate generally used?
Beta hydroxybutyrate is most commonly used as an exogenous ketone supplement to promote a state of ketosis. It can also be used to increase athletic performance and regulate blood glucose levels.
Where is Beta Hydroxybutyrate found?
Most commonly, BHB is found in supplement form. It is found in powder, capsule, or liquid form and can be added to smoothies, drinks, and food.
What are the health benefits of Beta Hydroxybutyrate?
- Supports weight loss and healthy metabolism
- Helps improve energy levels
- May improve cognitive function
- Can regulate blood glucose levels
- May reduce inflammation
- Can help reduce symptoms of keto flu
Interesting Facts about Beta Hydroxybutyrate
- BHB is one of the most abundant ketone bodies in the body.
- BHB is the only ketone body that can cross the blood-brain barrier and be used as an energy source for the brain.
- BHB is the first ketone body released from the liver during a fasted state.
List of Other Similar Ingredients:
- Beta-hydroxybutyric acid
- Acetoacetic acid
- Isopropyl acetone
- 3-hydroxybutyric acid
- 3-oxobutyric acid