What is Bifidobacterium longum?
Bifidobacterium longum is a species of probiotic bacteria that is commonly found in the gastrointestinal tract of humans and animals, as well as in some foods. It is a member of the Bifidobacteriaceae family of bacteria and belongs to the phylum Actinobacteria. Bifidobacterium longum is a Gram-positive, anaerobic, rod-shaped bacterium that is non-pathogenic and considered to be beneficial for human health.
Where is Bifidobacterium longum generally used?
Bifidobacterium longum is used to improve a variety of digestive health issues, including constipation, diarrhea, and other gastrointestinal upset. It is also widely used as a ingredient in probiotic supplements to promote a healthy balance of good bacteria in the gut. Additionally, it has been studied for its potential effects on immune health, allergies, and other conditions.
Where is Bifidobacterium longum found?
Bifidobacterium longum is most commonly found in the human gut, where it is thought to play a role in nutrient absorption and digestion. It can also be found in a variety of fermented foods, including yogurt, kefir, and kimchi. In some countries, it is used in infant formulas and as a dietary supplement.
What are the health benefits of Bifidobacterium longum?
Bifidobacterium longum has been studied for its effects on human health and has been linked to the following potential benefits:
- Improved digestive health.
- Reduced symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS).
- Decreased inflammation.
- Lower cholesterol levels.
- Improved immune system functioning.
- Reduced symptoms of allergies.
- Relief from anxiety and stress.
- Improved cognitive function.
Interesting Facts about Bifidobacterium longum
- Bifidobacterium longum is one of the most widely studied probiotic bacteria.
- This species of bacteria is heat-tolerant and can survive in temperatures up to 72°C.
- Bifidobacterium longum is a natural inhabitant of the human gastrointestinal tract and is beneficial for gut health.
- Research suggests that Bifidobacterium longum may play a role in the development and maintenance of a healthy immune system.
List of Other Similar Ingredients/Items
- Lactobacillus acidophilus
- Lactobacillus rhamnosus
- Lactobacillus casei
- Bifidobacterium bifidum
- Bifidobacterium breve
- Bifidobacterium lactis
- Bifidobacterium animalis
- Enterococcus faecalis
- Enterococcus faecium
- Saccharomyces boulardii
- Streptococcus thermophiles