What is a Billygoat Plum?
A Billygoat Plum (Prunus triflora) is an edible fruit native to northeastern China. The fruit is round and has a deep purple-blue colour. It is about the size of a cherry, and is filled with a sweet-tart pulp. Billygoat plums are an important ingredient in traditional Chinese medicine.
Where is a Billygoat Plum generally used?
Billygoat plums are often used to make jams, jellies, and juices. Additionally, they are added to cakes and tarts for extra flavour, or they can be used to make chutney and sauces. They can also be eaten as a snack, or added to a variety of Asian dishes.
Where is a Billygoat Plum found?
Billygoat plums can be found in markets throughout China, Korea, Japan, and other parts of Asia. They are also available online or in specialty stores in many countries.
What are the health benefits of a Billygoat Plum?
Billygoat plums are a good source of vitamin C, which helps to boost the immune system. They are also rich in dietary fibre, which can help to lower cholesterol levels. Additionally, Billygoat plums contain antioxidants which can help to fight free radicals and reduce the risk of certain diseases.
List of health benefits:
- High in Vitamin C
- Rich in dietary fibre
- Contains antioxidants
- Can help to lower cholesterol levels
- May reduce the risk of certain diseases
Interesting Facts about Billygoat Plums:
- Billygoat plums have been used in traditional Chinese medicine for centuries.
- The fruit has a unique sweet-tart taste and is often compared to blueberries.
- It was believed to have aphrodisiac properties, and was used as a love charm in ancient China.
- The pulp of the Billygoat plum is edible but the skin can be quite bitter.
List of other similar ingredients/items: