What is Black Rice?
Black Rice, also known as forbidden rice or purple rice, is an heirloom variety of rice that has been cultivated since ancient times in China and other parts of Asia. It is a type of whole grain rice which is black in color and has a distinctive nutty flavor. It is high in antioxidants, minerals, and is a good source of dietary fiber.
Where is Black Rice Generally Used?
Black Rice is widely used in Asian cuisine, especially in dishes such as congee, rice porridge, and biryani. It can be cooked and served as a side dish or mixed with other ingredients such as vegetables, meat, and fish for a complete meal. The distinctive nutty flavor and dark color of the rice makes it an ideal base for a variety of dishes.
Where is Black Rice Found?
Black Rice is commonly found in Asian and health food stores in the UK and can also be purchased online from speciality suppliers.
What are the Health Benefits of Black Rice?
- It is high in antioxidants and can help to reduce inflammation.
- It is a good source of dietary fiber and can help to promote digestion and regular bowel movements.
- It is rich in minerals such as iron and magnesium, which can help to support healthy bones and muscles.
- It is high in Vitamin E, which can help to protect the skin from free radical damage.
- It is a good source of complex carbohydrates, which can provide energy and help to regulate blood sugar levels.
Interesting Facts about Black Rice
- Black Rice is believed to have been cultivated as far back as the 4th century BC.
- It was once known as ‘Forbidden Rice’ as it was so valuable it was reserved only for Chinese Emperors.
- Traditional Chinese medicine practitioners believed that the dark color of the rice could help to tonify the kidneys and liver.
- The mild nutty flavor of the black rice is enhanced when cooked with spices such as turmeric, cardamom, and cinnamon.
List of Other Similar Ingredients:
- White Rice
- Wild Rice
- Brown Rice
- Red Rice
- Green Rice
- Konjac Rice
- Millet Rice