What is Butenyl isothiocyanate?
Butenyl isothiocyanate (BIT) is a naturally occurring compound belonging to the isothiocyanates class of chemicals. It is found mainly in cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, kale, cauliflower, and Brussel sprouts. It is also known to be present in some edible plants such as horseradish, radish, and mustard.
Where is Butenyl isothiocyanate generally used?
Butenyl isothiocyanate is used in food flavoring and as a food preservative. It is also used as a preservative in cosmetics and pharmaceuticals, as a preventing agent for food spoilage, and also as an insecticide.
Where is Butenyl isothiocyanate found?
Butenyl isothiocyanate is found mainly in cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, kale, cauliflower, and Brussel sprouts. It is also found in some edible plants such as horseradish, radish, and mustard. In addition, it is also found in some spices, such as cumin and fennel.
What are the health benefits of Butenyl isothiocyanate?
- It is believed to have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties, as it helps to inhibit the activity of certain enzymes associated with inflammation and cancer.
- It may also help improve digestion, reduce cholesterol levels, and fight free radicals.
- • Butenyl isothiocyanate is also believed to have potential use in treating some types of cancer, including lung and breast cancer.
- • It may also help to reduce the risk of cardiovascular diseases, thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties.
- • Butenyl isothiocyanate is also believed to have potential benefits in treating diabetes, as it helps to regulate the release of insulin from the pancreas.
Interesting Facts about Butenyl isothiocyanate
- Butenyl isothiocyanate was first identified in broccoli in 1971.
- It is part of a group of compounds called glucosinolates, which are found in many vegetables.
- In addition to its potential health benefits, studies have also indicated that butenyl isothiocyanate may also be helpful in removing heavy metals from water.
List of Other Similar Ingredients
- Allyl isothiocyanate
- Phenethyl isothiocyanate