What is Butylated Hydroxyanisole (BHA)?
Butylated hydroxyanisole (BHA) is a synthetic antioxidant used as a food preservative. It is an additive used to extend the shelf-life of foods and to prevent fat from turning rancid. BHA is a white, waxy, crystalline solid with a faint, characteristic odor. The chemical formula of BHA is C11H16O2.
Where is Butylated Hydroxyanisole Generally Used?
Butylated hydroxyanisole is used in a range of food products as a preservative. It is typically used in cereals, fats and oils, baked goods, snacks, chews, butter, candy, dairy products, sauces, jellies, and processed meats amongst many other products.
Where is Butylated Hydroxyanisole Found?
Butylated hydroxyanisole is a common ingredient in several food products. It is typically labeled as BHA and can be found on food labels as an ingredient in certain processed foods.
What are the Health Benefits of Butylated Hydroxyanisole?
Butylated hydroxyanisole has been extensively studied due to its potential health benefits. Research has indicated that BHA may possess antioxidant and anti-cancer activity, although more research is needed to confirm these findings. Additionally, BHA is shown to be effective in protecting against lipid oxidation, which helps to extend the shelf-life of certain food products.
- List item 1: Has antioxidant properties
- List item 2: May have anti-cancer activity
- List item 3: Helps to protect against lipid oxidation
- List item 4: Extends the shelf-life of certain food products
- List item 5: Labeled as BHA on food labels
Interesting Facts About Butylated Hydroxyanisole
- Butylated hydroxyanisole is a synthetic antioxidant
- It has been extensively studied due to its potential health benefits
- It is a white, waxy, crystalline solid
- The chemical formula of BHA is C11H16O2
- BHA is used in a range of food products as a preservative
List of Other Similar Ingredients/Dishes
- Butylated hydroxytoluene (BHT)
- Propyl gallate
- Natural food preservatives (such as vitamin E, rosemary extract, and enzymes)
- Processed meats
- Canned food
- Baked goods