What is Calyptridium umbellatum?
Calyptridium umbellatum, also known as C. umbellatum or Pearly Everlasting, is a wildflower plant species belonging to the Calyptridium genus. It is a perennial plant native to North America and is found in parts of the United States, such as the western United States, and Canada, especially in high elevation areas. The plant is characterized by its white or yellowish-white flower clusters that stand atop long, thin stems. The foliage of the plant consists of greyish-green leaves.
Where is Calyptridium umbellatum generally used?
Calyptridium umbellatum is mainly used in ornamental gardening, as the plants are grown for their aesthetic beauty. The flowers are also dried and used in home decor and for floral arrangements.
Where is Calyptridium umbellatum found?
umbellatum is found throughout the western United States, from California to Montana, and in Canada, mostly in areas of high elevation.
What are the health benefits of Calyptridium umbellatum?
umbellatum has a variety of health benefits, including:
Anti-inflammatory properties that may help to reduce swelling and pain.
Antimicrobial properties that can help to fight infections.
Antioxidant properties that can help to protect the body from cell damage and reduce the risk of chronic diseases.
Interesting Facts about Calyptridium umbellatum
- C. umbellatum is also known as C. umbellatum, pearly everlasting, and western pearly everlasting.
- The plant’s name is derived from the Greek words ‘kalyptos’, meaning ‘covered’, and ‘umbel’, referring to the flower’s umbrella-like shape.
- The flowers are edible and can be used as a garnish in salads and other dishes.
- Native Americans used the root of the plant to treat skin infections and insect stings.
- The flowers are often used to make a bright yellow dye.
List of Other Similar Ingredients with Health Benefits
- Arnica montana – used to treat inflammation and bruises.
- Primula veris – used to treat headaches, fever, and colds.
- Pyrethrum – used to treat respiratory infections, fever, and skin irritations.
- Hypericum perforatum – used to treat anxiety, depression, and wound healing.
- Salvia officinalis – used to treat digestive issues, colds, and pain.