What is Camelina Oil?
Camelina oil, also known as camelina sativa and false flax, is a plant-based oil derived from the seeds of the Camelina sativa plant. It is a source of omega-3 fatty acids, antioxidants, and other nutrients, and is a popular choice for use in cosmetics and skincare products. Camelina oil is golden in colour and has a mild, nutty taste. It has a high smoke point, making it suitable for high-temperature frying and baking.
Where is Camelina Oil Generally Used?
Camelina oil is a versatile cooking oil, and is suitable for all types of dishes, from salads to stir-fries. It can also be used as a condiment or a marinade. Camelina oil is also popularly used as a key ingredient in personal care and cosmetic products, such as body and massage oils, facial creams, and lip balms.
Where is Camelina Oil Found?
Camelina oil is found in a range of outlets, including health food stores, grocery stores, online retailers and specialty stores. It is also available from some chemical suppliers and for direct purchase from farmers, particularly in areas where it grows naturally.
What are the Health Benefits of Camelina Oil?
Camelina oil is rich in essential fatty acids, with one tablespoon containing 7g of omega-3 fatty acids. It is also known to contain high amounts of antioxidants and vitamins such as Vitamin E.
The health benefits of Camelina oil include:
- Lowering cholesterol and blood pressure levels
- Improving cardiovascular health
- Reducing the risk of developing certain types of cancer
- Protecting skin from premature ageing and UV radiation
- Improving joint health and preventing arthritis
- Reducing inflammation
- Boosting the immune system
Interesting Facts About Camelina Oil
- Camelina oil has been used for centuries in traditional medicines as a treatment for joint pain.
- Camelina oil is naturally high in Vitamin E, which can help to protect skin from UV radiation and free radicals.
- Camelina oil is a good source of lignans, which are plant compounds that are thought to have anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties.
List of Other Similar Ingredients with Health Benefits
- Hemp Seed Oil – used to treat inflammation, skin conditions and arthritis.
- Flaxseed Oil – used to treat heart disease, diabetes, and some types of cancer.
- Chia Seed Oil – used to reduce inflammation, improve heart health, and reduce cholesterol.
- Pumpkin Seed Oil – used to improve skin health, boost the immune system, and reduce inflammation.
- Avocado Oil – used to improve skin health, reduce inflammation, and reduce cholesterol.