What is Campsiandra angustifolia?
Campsiandra angustifolia, commonly known as ‘Palo de Jaquima’, is a species of flowering tree found in the Central and South American rainforest. The tree can grow up to 15 metres high and is characterised by its large, glossy green leaves, small white flowers and round orange fruits.
Where is Campsiandra angustifolia generally used?
Campsiandra angustifolia is widely used in traditional healing for a variety of ailments, its usage is particularly widespread in Mexico where it is known as 'Tepescohuite'. It is most commonly used as a topical remedy, for example to heal wounds, rashes, and bruises.
Where is Campsiandra angustifolia found?
Campsiandra angustifolia is found in tropical regions of Central and South America, growing in humid and subtropical conditions. It is also commonly found in Guatemala, Venezuela, and Mexico.
What are the health benefits of Campsiandra angustifolia?
- Used to reduce inflammation, relieve muscle pain and strengthen the immune system
- Contains antiseptic properties, helping to treat cuts, bruises and other wounds
- Contains anti-bacterial, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory properties
- Used to reduce swelling and improve circulation
- Used to treat skin conditions such as psoriasis and eczema
- Used to improve cognitive function, memory, focus and concentration
Interesting Facts About Campsiandra angustifolia
- Campsiandra angustifolia has been used for centuries in traditional healing in Central and South America.
- The leaves of the tree are used to make a type of herbal tea called 'Tepescohuite', which is drunk to help with digestion and to improve energy and vitality.
- In ancient Aztec civilisation, the bark of the tree was used to make a curative remedy for wounds and injuries.
- The fruits of the tree are edible and sweet, with a flavour similar to a mango.
List of Other Similar Ingredients with Health Benefits
- Cat's Claw – used to reduce inflammation, help with digestion and improve immune system function.
- Banisteriopsis caapi – used as a sedative and to help with treating anxiety and depression.
- Pau d'arco – used as an anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and to reduce pain.
- Lapacho – used to boost immunity and to help treat cancer.
- Maca – used to improve fertility, boost energy and to help with hormone balance.