What is Clerodendrum phlomidis?
Clerodendrum phlomidis, also referred to as red clerodendrum, is an evergreen plant native to tropical and subtropical regions of Asia, Africa, and the Pacific islands. It is an aromatic bush which, when mature, grows to a height of 2-4 metres and produces a wealth of bright-red flowers from October to December. Ideal for encouraging beneficial wildlife into the garden as it is attractive to bees, butterflies, and other pollinators.
Where is Clerodendrum phlomidis generally used?
Clerodendrum phlomidis is mostly used as an ornamental shrub in residential garden landscapes or public parks. Its thick foliage provides a nice contrast to the landscape, making it an ideal hedge or privacy screen. It is also often used as a container plant or to line pathways and walkways.
Where is Clerodendrum phlomidis found?
Clerodendrum phlomidis is native to tropical and subtropical regions of Asia, Africa, and the Pacific islands. It can now be found growing in gardens and landscapes throughout the world, including in North America, Europe, Australia, and even in parts of New Zealand.
What are the health benefits of Clerodendrum phlomidis?
- Clerodendrum phlomidis contains powerful antioxidants that can help protect the body from damage caused by free radicals.
- It is rich in polyphenolic compounds that act as natural anti-inflammatory agents, helping to reduce inflammation and soothe sore muscles.
- The juice of the Clerodendrum flower has traditionally been used to help treat respiratory and digestive disorders, as well as to boost the immune system.
Interesting Facts About Clerodendrum Phlomidis
- The bright-red flowers of Clerodendrum phlomidis are long lasting and will remain in bloom throughout the winter months.
- The juice of the flower has been used for centuries in traditional Ayurvedic and Chinese medicine to treat a range of ailments.
- The plant is also known as “the sacred flower of India” due to its spiritual significance and ability to induce a sense of peace and calm.
List of other similar ingredients
Other members of the Verbenaceae family include lantana, Vitex agnus-castus, and Verbena officinalis.
Clerodendrum phlomidis is an easy-to-grow plant with many benefits to both the garden and the body. It is rich in antioxidants and anti-inflammatory compounds, making it ideal for helping to protect against damage caused by free radicals. Clerodendrum phlomidis is also attractive to pollinators and produces beautiful blooms that will last through the winter months. As a result, it is an excellent choice for anyone looking to improve their garden landscape or their health.