What is Common Periwinkle?
Common periwinkle (Vinca major) is a semi-evergreen perennial plant that is native to Europe, North Africa, and western and central Asia. It is a member of the dogbane family (Apocynaceae), and is closely related to the Madagascar periwinkle (Catharanthus roseus). Common periwinkle has oval-shaped leaves with small white flowers that bloom in the spring and summer months. The flowers are typically about one inch wide and have a slightly sweet fragrance. The plant is also known for its attractive glossy green foliage.
Where is Common Periwinkle Generally Used?
Common periwinkle is a popular groundcover plant and is often used in home gardens and landscaping projects. It can be used as an edging plant along walkways and borders, and also does well in containers and hanging baskets. It is generally low maintenance and can tolerate some shade, making it a great choice for areas of the garden that don’t receive much sunlight.
Where is Common Periwinkle Found?
Common periwinkle can be found in woodland areas, meadows, and roadsides throughout Europe, North Africa, and western and central Asia. It can also be found in some parts of North America, where it is an introduced species.
What Are the Health Benefits of Common Periwinkle?
Common periwinkle has been used for many centuries as a medicinal plant. It has been used to treat many illnesses, including throat and eye infections, diabetes, and diarrhea. The plant is also known for its anti-inflammatory, antiseptic, and astringent properties. Additionally, the leaves of the plant have been used to make a tea that has been used as a diuretic and laxative.
Interesting Facts About Common Periwinkle
- Common periwinkle is a popular choice for butterfly gardens because of its white flowers.
- The flowers of the plant have a slightly sweet fragrance.
- Common periwinkle is known for its attractive glossy green foliage.
- Common periwinkle is often used as an edging plant along walkways and borders.
- The leaves of the plant have been used to make a tea for medicinal purposes.
List of Other Similar Ingredients
- Lesser Periwinkle (Vinca minor)
- Large Periwinkle (Vinca major)
- Water Periwinkle (Littorina littorea)
- Ground Ivy (Glechoma hederacea)
- Bigleaf Periwinkle (Vinca macrophylla)
- Creeping Jenny (Lysimachia nummularia)