What is Deoxycholic Acid?
Deoxycholic acid is a bile acid that is naturally produced in the liver and plays a crucial role in the digestion and absorption of dietary fats. It is a secondary bile acid derived from cholic acid and is known for its emulsifying properties, helping to break down fats into smaller molecules for better absorption.
Deoxycholic acid is a yellowish-white crystalline substance that is mainly found in the gastrointestinal tract. It is also available as a synthetic form for various pharmaceutical and medical uses.
Where is Deoxycholic Acid generally used?
Deoxycholic acid is primarily used in medical and cosmetic applications. In medicine, it is most commonly used in the treatment of gallstones, a condition characterized by hardened deposits in the gallbladder or bile ducts. Deoxycholic acid helps dissolve these stones, aiding in their removal from the body.
Cosmetically, deoxycholic acid has gained popularity as an injectable treatment for submental fat, commonly known as a "double chin." By destroying fat cells, it helps reduce the appearance of excess fat in this area, resulting in a more defined jawline and improved facial profile.
Where is Deoxycholic Acid found?
Deoxycholic acid is naturally found in the bile of animals, including humans. It is produced in the liver and released into the gallbladder, where it is stored until needed for the digestion of dietary fats. It is then secreted into the small intestine, where it aids in fat absorption.
What are the health benefits of Deoxycholic Acid?
- Gallstone Treatment: Deoxycholic acid is used as a medical treatment for gallstones due to its ability to dissolve these hardened deposits, allowing for their elimination from the body.
- Submental Fat Reduction: In cosmetic applications, deoxycholic acid injections have been proven effective in reducing submental fat, resulting in a more defined and contoured jawline.
- Fat Absorption: Deoxycholic acid plays a crucial role in the digestion and absorption of dietary fats, allowing for their breakdown and utilization by the body.
- Improved Digestion: By aiding in the emulsification and absorption of fats, deoxycholic acid promotes optimal digestion and nutrient absorption.
- Enhanced Facial Aesthetics: Deoxycholic acid injections can improve facial aesthetics by reducing the appearance of a double chin and enhancing the overall appearance and contour of the jawline.
Interesting Facts about Deoxycholic Acid
- Deoxycholic acid is part of a group of bile acids necessary for the digestion and absorption of dietary fats.
- It is the active ingredient in a prescription medication called Kybella, used for the reduction of submental fat.
- Deoxycholic acid injections for submental fat reduction are non-surgical, minimally invasive, and require little to no downtime.
- The body naturally produces deoxycholic acid, but synthetic forms are also available for medical and cosmetic applications.
List of other similar ingredients
- Ursodeoxycholic Acid: Another bile acid used in the treatment of gallstones, but with a different mechanism of action compared to deoxycholic acid.
- Sodium Cholate: A naturally occurring bile salt that aids in the digestion and absorption of fats.
- Taurocholic Acid: A bile acid involved in the digestion of dietary fats and the formation of micelles to enhance fat absorption.